Is Ghusl necessary if wet dream occupies less that the size of a Dirham?
If experiences wet dream which is less than the size of a Dirham; Does Ghusl becomes necessary?
Do his clothes become impure? Will a person become impure if he wears these clothes after Ghusl? Is it necessary to wash these clothes before wearing? Is it permissible to mix clean clothes with these clothes? Is Salat prayed with these clothes valid?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
There are many young people that are growing up and may have heard the term wet dream, but do not know what a wet dream really is.
In principle a wet dream is when an adult has a dream of a sensational nature in which fluid is spontaneously ejaculated from the private part of a male and he wakes up and finds wetness around his private parts on his garment. In the case of a woman the front private part will become moist. The wetness could be in the form of mani (semen) or mazi (a pre-coital fluid) or wadi which is a liquid that precedes the urine. (Bahishti Zewar vol.1 pg. 72)
There are fourteen different scenarios in relative to the issue of wet dreams.
If one wakes up and experiences wetness around his private parts or clothing or his undergarments then he will have to make Ghusl in the following situations:
1) If he is convinced that it is semen and he remembers having a dream
2) He is convinced that it is semen even though he does not recall having a dream
3) He is convinced that it is pre-coital fluid (mazi)and he remembers having a dream
4) He is uncertain if it is semen or pre-coital fluid but he remembers having a dream
5) He is not certain if it is semen or wadi (the fluid that precedes urine), but he remembers having a dream
6) He is not certain if it is mazi (pre-coital fluid) or wadi ( fluid that precedes urine), but he remembers having a dream
7) He is not sure which of the three it is (mani, mazi or wadi) but he remembers having a dream
8) He is not certain whether it is mani or mazi, nor does he remembers having a dream.
9) He is convinced that it is mazi, but does not remember having a dream.
10)He is having doubts whether it is semen or wadi, but does not remember having a dream.
11)He is uncertain whether it is mani, wazi or wadi, but he does not remember having a dream.
Ghusl will NOT compulsory upon him under the following circumstances:
1) He is having doubts whether it is mazi or wadi and he does not remember having a dream
2) He is convinced that it is wadi, but he does remember having a dream.
3) He is convinced that it is wadi, but he does not remember having a dream. (Bahishti Zewar Vol. 1 Pg. 72-73)
The fourteen different scenarios are summarized in the chart below:
Clothes soiled with semen will be impure. It is necessary to wash the soiled clothes before performing Salat with such clothes. Salat will not be valid if performed in clothes that are impure.
The soiled clothes should not be mixed with clean clothes if they are wet. If they are dry it does not matter.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Mufti Saeed Ahmed Golaub
(ش) : قَوْلُهُ خَرَجْت مَعَ عُمَرَ بْنِ الْخَطَّابِ إلَى الْجَرْفِ الْجَرْفُ مَوْضِعٌ وَقَوْلُهُ فَنَظَرَ فَإِذَا هُوَ قَدْ احْتَلَمَ وَصَلَّى وَلَمْ يَغْتَسِلْ يُرِيدُ أَنَّهُ رَأَى فِي ثَوْبِهِ مِنْ أَثَرِ الْمَنِيِّ مَا دَلَّهُ عَلَى الِاحْتِلَامِ فَقَالَ وَاَللَّهِ مَا أَرَانِي إلَّا وَقَدْ احْتَلَمْت وَمَا شَعَرْت ظَاهِرُهُ أَنَّهُ لَمْ يَذْكُرْ احْتِلَامَهُ جُمْلَةً وَقَوْلُهُ وَصَلَّيْت وَمَا اغْتَسَلْت يُرِيدُ أَنَّهُ فَعَلَ مَا يَقَعُ عَلَيْهِ اسْمُ الصَّلَاةِ وَإِنَّ خُرُوجَ الْمَنِيِّ عَلَى وَجْهِ الِاحْتِلَامِ يُوجِبُ الْغُسْلَ لِأَنَّهُ خَارِجٌ عَلَى وَجْهِ اللَّذَّةِ كَخُرُوجِهِ حَالَ الْيَقِظَةِ بِمُلَاعَبَةٍ أَوْ تَذْكَارٍ وَسَوَاءٌ ذَكَرَ أَنَّهُ جَامَعَ فِي نَوْمِهِ وَالْتَذَّ أَوْ لَمْ يَذْكُرْ شَيْئًا إلَّا أَنَّهُ مَنْ رَأَى الْمَنِيَّ فِي ثَوْبِهِ فَإِنَّهُ يَجِبُ عَلَيْهِ الْغُسْلُ لِأَنَّ الْغَالِبَ خُرُوجُهُ عَلَى وَجْهِ اللَّذَّةِ فَيُحْمَلُ عَلَى الْمُعْتَادِ مِنْ حَالِهِ. المنتقى شرح الموطإ (1 / 100)