Troubled Wife

Shortened Question:

My husband ignores my needs including my conjugal rights. What can I do?


I am a 52 years old practicing Muslim woman. My husband used to consume alcohol and also used to beat me. I discovered that he has a second wife. Although he no longer consumes alcohol nor beats me he continues to ignore my needs including my conjugal rights. Recently, on three different occasions I found the keys to a hotel room in his possession. From this I deduce that he is spending time in the hotel during working hours. Whenever I confront him about it he gets angry. What recourse can I take?


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

It seems that your husband is an elderly person. We suggest that you request an elderly member of his family to speak with him about his attitude.

If the problem cannot be solved within the family then you should refer the matter to your local Imam. To remove any discomfort both of you should first present your case individually to the Imam on separate occasions. Subsequently, both of you should meet with the Imam together and discuss the matter.


And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Mufti Saeed Ahmed Golaub

Islamic Solutions